Book 1 Post 2
The book I read is “Hit Fresh”, written by the current CEO of Microsoft, Satya Nadella. I picked this book because the technology wave in recent years was again reaching a historic peak. I wanted to learn more about how giant-tech leaders navigated similar scenarios in the past, and how they adapted their companies to the constant changes.
This turns out to be a great choice. This book is not only a great one to learn about a CEO’s attitude and consideration when leading a company to a better position, but also an insightful notebook for me to actively think about technology-related issues, and how a leading tech executive would approach these questions. The examples and stories in this book are pretty specific and easy to understand.
Corporate strategy and technological discussion are the two main topics Satya discussed in this book. I truly gained useful insights that I want to share with you. First, the importance of culture. Satya mentioned the thing that he doesn’t want to see is the employees treat “culture” as something only important to Satya. He wanted to do something to make everyone in the firm realize “culture” is important to themselves, as well as for Microsoft. Second, Satya emphasized the importance of the collaborative spirit between humans and machines, instead of treating the relationship as confrontational.
This book remains a story-telling style from Microsoft’s lens and covers comprehensive topics in corporate management with examples. The strategic insights gained from this book are truly valuable. Also, this book is very relevant to the current stage of technology development: for example, Satya talks about the moral-related topic of AI. I would recommend this book to you, especially if you are interested in corporate management and technological developments.

Hi Maria! I've seen this book in my dad's book collection at home. I really like how you explained why you chose this book by tying it to the rising technological wave with AI. I think it is pretty cool to be in the mind of a CEO of such a big company and learn from their success, failures, and approach to corporate strategy.
ReplyDeleteHi Maria, I think it was such a cool choice to pick a book like this. Love that you shared what you learned, thank you for the tips!
ReplyDeleteHey Maria, you chose an interesting book as I'm also interested in tech, and the strategic insights were helpful.
ReplyDeleteHi Maria, you do a great job of highlighting the book’s key insights, especially on culture and human-machine collaboration. This seems like an interesting read, great review!
ReplyDeleteHi Maria, I love the lesson about how important culture is as well as the collaborative spirit between individuals. As a business major myself, I think it is really important to know that these are really important factors in a community, so that fostering environments with collaborative teams will be easier. I loved that you were able to find interest in this book.
ReplyDeleteHi Maria! Nice review. This sounds like a super relevant book that would be useful in one of our Marshall classes. I took Strategic Management last semester and they emphasized how important culture was to a company. Without people that you can trust, you will never be able to forma strong foundation. I think my class went over Microsoft actually. Anyway, I'd love to hear more about what the CEO has to say about AI and moral related topics. AI kind of freaks me out so I want to learn more to be prepared.
ReplyDeleteHi Maria, this book does sound like an interesting read, especially for those interested in the technological industry. I appreciated the highlights you make, including how Satya wants employees to embrace the idea of culture as something that is important to themselves. When employees are personally invested in an idea, they are more likely to work to further that idea even without prompting. I also thought it was a bit funny that Satya wants to focus more on the collaborative relationship between humans and machines rather than on a confrontational one. The idea of conflict between humans and machines is much more deeply rooted in our past and can be seen through various media and genres, especially science fiction e.g., 2001: A Space Odyssey, and the Terminator movies.
ReplyDelete